Adjust the XR650R Clutch
Clutch adjustments on the XR650R are simple to make. The clutch can be adjusted both at the perch on the handlebars and at the arm on the left side of the engine.
The factory recommends between 10 and 20 millimeters of free play on the lever before the clutch begins to be engaged.
Minor adjustments can be made at on the perch:
- Pull back the rubber dust cover to expose the clutch cable adjuster
- Loosen the locknut with your fingers
- Spin the clutch cable receiver further into or further out-of the clutch lever until the correct amount of play is in the lever
- Tighten the lock nut
If more significant adjustments need to be made, or if you have just replaced the clutch cable or any related assembly, you can adjust the cable on the left side of the engine.
- Loosen the locknut with a 12 open end wrench
- Adjust the cable forward or backward using the adjuster until the desired amount of play is found
- Tighten the locknut
There isn’t much more too it than that.